Monday, June 21, 2010

Is it true that you cannot wear makeup or nail polish when having surgery?

I have to get surgery on my knees and someone told me this. It sounds kindof silly to me...but is it true?Is it true that you cannot wear makeup or nail polish when having surgery?
yes, b/c looking at your nails is a way to ensure your body is circulating properly and has enough oxygen.





same with your face.





even with all the machines and equipment today, some natural signs are still better:)


good luck in surgery, honey, and take care.





also, you ahve to remove any and all jewelry.





as for the make up part...talk to your dr...there may be a way around it...





:)Is it true that you cannot wear makeup or nail polish when having surgery?
and why would you want to?????????????
Yes this is true, dont know what's the technical explaination for this but based on my experience, u cannot wear anything like make up or any other accesories for that matter during surgery.
It is more hygenic to be totally clean when going into surgery. Mascara and other types of makeup can carry germs, and the operating room must be as steril as possible.





technicians might touch your face or brush past it and they want little chance for infection. My doctor told me this before I had my c-section.
if it is for face then they may tell not to have make up but ur surgey is for knees don''t vary about that u can have ur make up.
it is weird... when i went in for surgery i didnt have makeup on already, but i did have nail polish. they told me that i woud have to take it off, but they didnt give me any remover lol so i sat there all morphined up peeling it off.. and they never checked or anything.. they definitely didnt make a big deal of it.. but you might as well just take off your nail polish and go in without makeup since you're having planned surgery. mine was more emergency so i couldnt really plan. i just got lucky and got sick after a shower so i didnt have makeup on lol





good luck in surgery!
In the UK for any surgery on the NHS you can not wear either and for your own safety.


The first answer was right as to why


They need to be able to check your fingernails as blue to pink colour on the flesh under them are a good - and very fast - indication of oxygen levels.


And they need to look at the skin colour on your face during surgery un-disguised by make up to make sure you are OK ans saturation levels are fine. Also as already said make up is full of bacteria and traps more while worn





(there was some research that showed a year old lipstick contained more bacteria than your toilet seat - so buy new every month or so , same with mascara and foundation)





Why worry, you will not look at your best during and after surgery - make up will only look dreadful on a white, druged and strained face it would smear during all that happens in surgery and if you vomit afterwards and painted nails will not enhance how you look during surgery with tubes down your throat and in your arms.





It is better to have one day off of wearing make up and nail varnish as it may save your life while under the knife.





I am surprised one answerer was not offered nail varnish remover or raw acetone to remove her nail varnish - I always have been given it by a nurse and I have had lots of surgery, but to be safe bring your own or take it off before you go.





PS you are also not allowed to wear any jewellery as this can trap bacteria so it will be taken off you before you go to surgery - I advise you for safety not to wear it to the hospital and to leave your jewellery at home
I've had two different surgeries and one surgeon told me I couldn't wear nail polish while the other surgeon for the other surgery told me it was fine.





My cousin had a pedicure before she went into surgery (she had foot surgery) and they didn't say anything!





I'd call the office before and ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
freckles